People need to understand that no one is playing with marked cards;

sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. Don’t expect to get anything back, don’t expect recognition for your efforts, don’t expect your genius to be discovered or your love to be understood. Complete the circle. Not out of pride, inability or arrogance, but simply because whatever it is no longer fits in your life. Close the door, change the record, clean the house, get rid of the dust. Stop being who you were and become who you are. ~Paulo Coelho, The Zahir

Saturday, July 01, 2006

The internet is working!

And for my first post in country.

Sorry to everyone, I dont write and I dont call because it isnt very easy. We live in Santa Lucia, a realy small town outside of Tegus, and most days the phones and the internet are down. We are not yet alowed to travel into the capital...or really travel at all. Turns out I have no phone or access to the outside world. Two weeks have felt like months. Not in a bad way though. In a way that for some reason I am accustom the the norm already. I am okay after an 8 hour day of language and tech classes to go back to my host family and have dinner, talk as best we can, and go to bed when it gets dark, listening to the rain for the rest of the night.

Training is fun (most days) and everyone is still in high spirits and encouraged even through the constant lack of information. There are 50 other trainees here, about 15 in my program and for some reason, we all still get along great. Although in two months we will be split up around the country, knowing we are here right now makes the training seem more like camp rather than...well, i guess boot camp.

I wish I could share more...I wish I knew where I will be living and what I will be doing, when I will be able to get a phone, or visit home, or get a package...but thats not what I signed on for. For now, I know that it will rain today, and that come next week we will have yet another round of shots (and not the fun ones). I know there will be a soccer game to watch at the campo down the street from my house and that I will take a cold shower tonight...and Im okay with all of that.

I hope everyone is well. I know when training is over I will have more time to myself, to write and to call and to visit, but until then, I hope everyone is doing well...and that you all appreciate your warm showers and not having to take malaria pills every week!!

xoxox

1 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Glad you are okay. Hate that we can't talk. Know that I am always thinking about you!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home